Kansas State University

Manhattan, Kansas

Visit University Website >

Contact Coordinator >


Student Life

Important Dates

Image by Alexis Brown



View areas of study open to undergraduate exchange students


View areas of study abroad open to graduate exchange students.

All graduate programs, with the exception of Veterinary Medicine, are open to exchange students. Undergraduate students are able to take graduate level courses on a case-by-case basis.

Can graduate students take undergraduate level courses?


Can advanced undergraduate students take graduate level courses?


View areas of study restricted to prior bilateral agreements between exchange departments or faculties.

Veterinary Medicine, Kinesiology and Graphic Design

View areas of study that are not open to exchange students.

Veterinary Medicine, Kinesiology and Graphic Design

Required minimum and maximum number of credits available through the exchange.

Undergraduate: Minimum = 12, maximum covered by exchange = 15 (additional credits are possible, but students must pay for those credits). Graduate Admitted as Undergraduate: Minimum = 12, maximum covered by exchange 6 graduate credits and 6 undergraduate credits (additional credits are possible, but students must pay for those credits). Graduate Admitted as Graduate: Minimum = 9, maximum covered by exchange 9 graduate credits (additional credits are possible, but students must pay for those credits).

Are summer courses available as exchange (non fee-paying)? If so, what is the website?


Do students register for courses in advance or upon arrival?

In most cases, students can pre-enroll before arrival, with the assistance of an Academic Advisor. If students do not pre-enroll before arrival, they will be assisted with enrollment during international student orientation week.

View course registration deadlines.

Dates listed are tentative; please check the website for official. Contact Education Abroad Office for pre-registration options. Fall Semester: early September
Spring Semester: early February

Language Requirements

Nomination letter from partner verifying English abilities for Undergraduate, language exam for Graduate. Language requirements can be found here: https://www.k-state.edu/admissions/undergrad/manhattan/apply/international/english-proficiency.html.

Is a language test certificate required? If so, is it required before admission or upon arrival?

Language test certificate is not required for undergraduate if language level is confirmed in letter of support from the home institution. Students can also opt to take the English Language Placement test upon arrival.

Are there preparatory language courses for incoming students? If so, what are the dates and costs?

English Language Program: 4 weeks in the summer (optional, not included in exchange, to be paid by student): http://www.k-state.edu/elp/.

Are there any special advising or registration concerns that students should be aware of? Are services available to assist in registration or course selection?

Undergraduate degrees in Europe are not always considered equivalent to undergraduate degrees in the U.S. Therefore, Graduate students from Utrecht network partners may be encouraged to apply as an Undergraduate at KSU, then request special permission to take some Graduate level courses. Most exchange students will be admitted as undergraduate students and will be able to request permission to enroll in graduate level classes. The exchange will cover 2 graduate level classes and 2 undergraduate level classes for graduate students.

Is there additional information needed?


KSU football.jpeg

Student Life

Is housing assistance available? Is it guaranteed? How do students apply?

Yes: https://housing.k-state.edu/living-options/. Housing is guaranteed for those who apply and complete a contract before arrival.

What are the housing options?

University dormitories with cafeteria meal plans University apartments (limited) Local private apartments and houses (no assistance from exchange office)

Who should I contact regarding housing options?

http://housing.k-state.edu/ Contact MAUI incoming coordinator, Sara Boro ( seboro@ksu.edu) or housing@ksu.edu with questions.

Do students apply for housing with their university application or is it seperate? Is there a deadline?

Separate, rolling application: http://housing.k-state.edu/

What kinds of health facilities are available at the university?

Lafene Health Center: Free use. For minor medical problems and diagnosis. http://www.k-state.edu/lafene/

Are internships available?

Yes, internships are available through some departmental programs and are individual arranged through departments. Students can also use the Career Center to find internships: http://www.k-state.edu/careercenter/. Due to visa restrictions, students can only complete internships on campus.

Are student jobs available and permissible?

Yes, student may work up to 20 hours a week on campus. U.S. Immigration rules prohibit working off campus.

Is there additional information needed?

Airport Pick-Up: Recommend flying directly into Manhattan Regional Airport (MHK), Kansas and can request a free shuttle pick-up. If flying into Kansas City International (MCI), students can arrange for own pick up: https://www.k-state.edu/admissions/undergrad/manhattan/enroll/admitted-checklists/international/travel.html.


Important Dates

View application deadlines for each term.

Fall Semester: 1 May
Spring Semester: 1 October

View academic calendar

Kansas State University Academic Calendar: http://www.k-state.edu/cgi-bin/eventview/registrar/academic Exchange student specific calendar:

What is the examination period?

The final week of each semester - see https://www.k-state.edu/abroad/incoming-students/important-dates/index.html

Is there a break between the academic course calendar and exams? Can arrangements be made so the student may take exams early?

There is not a break between the academic course calendar and final exams.

Are orientation sessions for incoming students mandatory? What are the dates and costs?

Orientation is mandatory for all international students and begins one week prior to the beginning of each semester. There is an additional cost is for housing during that week (currently $45 per night on campus): http://www.k-state.edu/isss/orientation/.

Is there additional information needed?




Housing costs

On-Campus: https://apps2.housing.k-state.edu/exploreyouroptions/ Off-Campus: Housing costs will vary if student chooses to live off-campus. Approximately: $400 - $500 for housing per month (less expensive housing is sometimes found, but not guaranteed)

Meal costs

On-Campus: http://housing.k-state.edu/dining/ Off-Campus: $200 - $300 for meals per month

Cost of books and course materials

On average, $550 per semester

Local transportation cost

Many students will opt to buy bikes while they are in Manhattan and can walk to most places from their accommodation to campus. There is free transportation to different locations on campus and to travel from campus to shopping areas in Manhattan. More information about this service can be found here: http://www.rileycountyks.gov/795/ATA-Bus

Health insurance

Around $710 a semester

Other costs?

Personal expenses usually run around $2,000 per semester depending on each student's style of living. This could be more or less depending on travel.

Is comparable health insurance coverage from abroad allowed?

Allowed, but student must submit a waiver request from through their KSU student account: http://www.k-state.edu/isss/current/healthinsurance.html

View total cost estimate per month in USD

Total Semester estimate - $8,050 (broken down below and on our website: http://www.k-state.edu/abroad/incoming_students/pre-arrival/fees.html)