Back to the list






Full name of University

Kansas State University

ksu ksu stadium

Contact person for incoming students

Karlin Webster,
Director of Study Abroad
Office of International Programs
304 Fairchild Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506-1111
Phone: 785-532-5990
Fax: 785-532-6550


Logan Gauby,
Senior Administrative Assistant
304 Fairchild Hall
Manhattan, KS 66535
Phone: +1 785-532-5465


Contact person for outgoing students

Brent Holliday
Study Abroad Advisor
Office of International Programs
Kansas State University
304 Fairchild Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-1111
Phone: 785-532-5990
Fax: 785-532-6550


General University Website

International Office/Website for Incoming Students

Incoming Exchange Students:
International Pre-Arrival:

Areas of study open to undergraduate exchange students

Life & Physical Sciences
Social Sciences
Human Ecology
Aviation Technology
To view the most up-to-date online undergraduate course catalog:

Are graduate areas open for exchange?


Areas of study open to graduate exchange students

All graduate programs, with the exception of Veterinary Medicine, are open to exchange students. Undergraduate exchange students are able to take graduate level courses on a case-by-case basis.

Can advanced undergraduate students take graduate level courses?


Can graduate student take undergraduate level courses?



Areas of study restricted to prior bilateral agreements between exchange departments or faculties

Veterinary Medicine – available on a case-by-case basis.

Areas of study not available to exchange students

Veterinary Medicine – available on a case-by-case basis.

Websites for course offerings

Are summer courses available as exchange (non fee-paying)?

Yes, if available.

Orientation session(s) for incoming students

One week prior to the beginning of each semester.  Additional cost is for housing during that week (currently $35 per night on campus)

Academic Calendar

Exchange student specific calendar:

Examination period(s)

Final week of each semester - see

If there is a break between the academic course calendar and exams, can arrangements be made so the student may take exams early?


Application deadline for each term

Undergraduate Priority Deadline (it may be possible to accept applications after this date, but consideration of application is not guaranteed)
Fall Semester: May 1
Spring Semester: October 1

Graduate Priority Deadline (applications may be submitted after this date, but should be submitted as soon as possible after nomination is accepted).
Fall Semester: January 1
Spring Semester: August 1

Application website.

Transcript, affidavit of financial support and bank statements MUST be mailed. The rest of the application may be emailed/filled out online,



How does the application and admissions process differ for undergraduate versus graduates?

Graduate students are required to complete the graduate application, and submit an English Language proficiency sore (see website for details).  The Graduate application process takes longer.

Course registration deadline

Dates listed are tentative; please check the website for official. Contact Study Abroad Office for pre-registration options.

Fall Semester: early September
Spring Semester: early February

Do students register for classes in advance or upon arrival?

X  In Advance (when possible)

X  Upon Arrival (if not done in advance)

Language Requirements

Nomination letter from partner verifying English abilities for Undergraduate, language exam for Graduate

Language test certificate required?

No for UG, Yes for Graduate

Preparatory language course for incoming students?


English Language Program: 4 weeks in the summer (optional, not included in exchange, to be paid by student)

Are there any special advising or registrations concerns that students should be aware of? Are services available to assist in registration or course selection?

Undergraduate degrees in Europe are not always considered equal to Undergraduate degrees in the U.S.  Therefore, Graduate students from Utrecht network partners may be encouraged to apply as an Undergraduate at KSU, then request special permission to take some Graduate level courses.

In most cases, students can pre-enroll before arrival, with the assistance of an Academic Advisor.  If students do not pre-enroll before arrival, they will be assisted with enrollment during orientation week.

Required minimum and maximum number of credits available through the exchange

Minimum UG = 12, maximum covered by exchange = 15 (additional credits are possible, but students must pay for those credits)

Minimum Graduate = 9, maximum covered by exchange = 12 (additional credits are possible, but students must pay for those credits)

Is housing assistance available? How do students apply, and is it guaranteed?

Yes,  Housing is guaranteed for those who apply and complete a contract before arrival.

Housing options

University dormitories with cafeteria meal plans
University apartments (limited)
Local private apartments and houses (no assistance from University)

Housing Website and Contact Person(s)

Contact MAUI coordinator, Karli Webster ( with questions.

Do students apply for housing with their regular application or is it separate?


Is housing available between breaks in term?

Yes, but for an additional cost.

Is there a campus meal plan?

Yes, students who live in the university dormitories are required to purchase a campus meal plan. Students living in the university apartments may choose to purchase a campus meal plan.

Total cost estimates per month in US Dollars

Total SEMESTER estimate - $6,000


     Off-Campus: Housing costs will vary if student chooses to live off-campus. Approximately: $400 - $500 for housing per month (less expensive housing is sometimes found, but not guaranteed)


Off-Campus: $100 - $200 for meals per month


On average, $300 per semester

-Local Transportation

-Health Insurance

Around $515 a semester.

(please indicate and specify any mandatory additional fees)

Personal expenses usually run around $250 - $300 per month depending on each student’s style of living. This could be more or less depending of travel.

Is comparable health insurance coverage from abroad allowed/not allowed?

Allowed, students must submit a waiver request form through their Kansas State University student account.

What kinds of health facilities are available at the university?

Lafene Health Center: Free use. For minor medical problems and diagnosis.

Are internships available?

Yes, internships are available through some departmental programs and are individual arranged through departments.

Are student jobs available/allowed?

Yes, student may work up to 20 hours a week on campus. U.S. Immigration rules prohibit working off campus.

Other important notes

Airport Pick-Up: Recommend flying directly into Manhattan, KS and can request a free pick up.

If flying into Kansas City, students can arrange for own pick up through companies like KCI Road Runner:

Last updated

December 16, 2013